House of Sweden is a building in Washington, D.C. which houses the diplomatic missions of the Kingdom of Sweden, and the Republic of Iceland to the United States of America. The building is located at 2900 K Street N.W. in the Georgetown neighborhood.
Apart from the embassies, the building, which is owned by the National Property Board Sweden, also houses representatives of Swedish commerce. Facilities includes a secretariat, exhibition space, 19 corporate office suites and a high-tech business event center.
The building was designed by the Swedish architects Gert Wingårdh and Tomas Hansen, with VOA Associates in Washington DC as architect of record. It consists of five floors with a total surface of 7,500 m². The front of the building is made of glass. Construction began in August 2004 and was completed in the summer of 2006. The embassy moved into the building at the beginning of August 2006. Previously the embassy was housed in rented space, first at Watergate 600, and later at 1501 M Street NW.
The building was inaugurated on October 23, 2006, by King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden and Queen Silvia. Also present at the inauguration were the Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs Carl Bildt and then Ambassador of Sweden to the United States Gunnar Lund.
Gert Wingårdh received the Swedish national architecture award – the Kasper Salin Prize – for House of Sweden in 2007.
Lighting designer: Kai Piippo